Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

I remember back in January, when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do this year as far as running goes. I was coming off a 2 minute PR in the Chicago Marathon, but to be honest, running was beginning to lose some of its appeal to me. I had progressed from a 3:35 debut marathon in 1998, down to a 2:51 marathon in 2000. From there, I spent the next couple of years hovering around that 2:50 mark, never improving it and on several occasions regressing from it. Finally in 2004, after an 8 month layoff from running, I was able to put in my best summer of running ever and finally lowered my PR in the marathon down to 2:48. That was done on a yearly total of 846 miles, but since I didn't start running until June of that year, that number is a little misleading.

The next year, the goal was to run more consistently leading up to the summer so I could hit the ground running, so to speak. I accomplished that and was able to nearly double my yearly mileage totals, to around 1750 miles. I once again PRed in the Chicago marathon, lowering my PR down to 2:46:08. While I was happy with the PR, I must admit, I was wondering if I was nearing the end of my potential. I was following traditional 18 week programs, doing the speedwork and longruns, and I had managed to take a total of 5 minutes off of my PR in 5 years. Was it really worth it.

Finally in January of this year, I decided that I was sick of nickel and diming my PR down. I wanted to take a chunk out of it. I wanted to run in the mid 2:30's. When I made the declaration I had no idea how I was going to accomplish it really. I knew I would have to train harder than I ever have before, but I wasn't sure of the specifics behind it. Finally I settled on a high-mileage plan that would take the emphasis off of trackwork and traditional speedwork, instead focusing on higher weekly mileage, tempo runs, and long runs. When I first made the plan up, I figured if everything went perfectly, I should run around 3300 miles the time the Chicago Marathon rolled around. Here I sit, less than a week away from the big day, and my mileage for the year is 3245 and things definitely haven't gone perfectly.

The last 2 months have been extremely difficult, but as Andrew mentioned in one of his comments, you cannot deny the training. Sure there are doubts, but there is also a strong sense of confidence somewhere under the surface. Is a mid 2:30's race possible this weekend? I don't know, but to be honest, I don't even know that I care anymore. What I took away from this year's training cannot be measured by a guntime. If I don't hit it this weekend, there will be other races. This is just the beginning.

9 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Arcane said...

Trust the training. you can't cheat the marathon. If you put in the proper training, you'll do well and by the looks of it you will do well.

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read your race report Greg. Congrats on 10 months of solid training--good luck on Sunday!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

How many times do we stand at the start doubting to the last second only to have it all fade away by a well executed first mile?

Race smoothly and good luck.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Wayne said...

You're fit and ready. Don't let the doubts creep into your mind now that you are only days away.

Good luck.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Trust your training Greg and have a great race.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Doug Branscombe said...

You've done a tremendous job in preparation. The race is your reward for all that hard work. Positive thoughts this week and you'll have the race of your life this weekend.

Have a super fantastic race!!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Thanks to your blog(s) I feel like I've been there for every step. No wonder I feel tired.

I wish I could be there to see you cross the finish line, because regardless of the numbers on the clock, that is going to be a special moment.

Good luck, Greg.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an excellent attitude to have.
Your training has been solid, and a PR is definitely within reach. Good Luck!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Jonas said...

All whole lot of people will be cheering you on, Greg. A whole lotta people! Just do your best. Imagine your Mom smiling...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25