Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dialing In

I'll admit I'm somewhat of a hack when it comes to training. I'm afraid if you come hear to learn about the finer points of training, you will leave a little disapointed. I mean I understand what I'm supposed to be doing and all the different types of runs that make up a total marathon plan, but I am somewhat ignorant as to what exactly is classified as a VO2 max workout and what is an Lactate Threshold workout. I guess my basic philosophy is that if you run enough, and try and do enough variety so that you are running different speeds on different days, you will most likely be OK. Not exactly scientific, but it allows me some flexibility in my training and if I just don't feel like going to the track to bust out mile repeats, well, a tempo run will work and while they probably don't work the same systems, I'm OK with that.

As a matter of fact, I'm thinking there is some merit to the idea that there should only be two sorts of workout breakdowns for marathon runners: Marathon pace or faster and everything else. I understand that there is some value to working your anaroebic system prior to a marathon(although I'm not entirely sure how you go about doing it), but since the marathon is 90 some percent aerobic, I wonder if that time wouldn't be better served working on something else. I also understand that there are a lot of coaches and runners much smarter and faster than me who do advocate a period of anaroebic work, so I'm sure there is some merit to the whole thing. However, for me, this time around, I'm sticking with aerobic conditioning all the way.

Having said all that, this week is about dialing into marathon pace. On Tuesday, I did a mid-morning run of 8 miles with the middle 4 at marathon pace. To be honest, it didn’t feel good at all. It was done on a treadmill, so I'm sure that didn't help, but it was still pretty discouraging. Then about five hours later, the opportunity arose to do a 20 miler out to my parents house. I jumped on it and did the first 15 miles at a 7 minute pace and then managed to do the last 5 at a 6 minute pace. While I did have a little bit of trouble dialing into that marathon pace after close to two hours of steady 7 minute paced running, once I found that second gear, I was able to maintain it for the 5 miles.

Today was an 11 mile run with 8 mile at marathon pace or faster. I give myself a little leeway on this one since it's done on the lakefront and the wind really dictates your speed to a certain extent. I did this same exact run last Thursday and was able to average 5:54 for the 8 miles. However, that run was done with a tailwind for the first four miles and then a headwind for the last four miles. This week, that scenario was reversed, so I had the headwind for the first four, but the wind was at my back on the way home. This definitely lends itself to faster times and today was no exception. I did the 8 miles in 46:04 for a pace of 5:45 for the 8 miles. I remember a few short months ago, struggling to do a 4 mile tempo run at this same pace. What was most encouraging about the run was that in the second half, I was very relaxed. In the past, I would tend to tense up at the end of tempo runs, thinking I really had to bear down and work hard to maintain pace. At this point, I'm feeling comfortable with the 5:45 and I'm confident that I can relax and still maintain pace at that speed. Hopefully, on marathon day, with an extra 15 second cushion, things will feel equally comfortable.

1 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger cpgzz said...

For a hack, you seem to have the one the key element in place: Know thyself. It looks like it is working for you, if these last runs are any indication. If this training process is as enjoyable for you as it has been for me to follow along, then your payoff will be considerable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25