Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Recovery Complete

This really isn't a good time to be come down with a case of sore muscles. With less than 4 weeks of real training time before the taper for the Chicago Marathon, time is getting scarce. I guess it's just natural, no matter how long you've been working towards a big race to feel like you need just a little more time to get everything together.

In reality, all of the training I have done this year, starting way back in January, has been done with an eye towards October 22nd. To think that a few more weeks would really do me any good is probably crazy-talk. While I feel like I have made great strides this year, which will hopefully result in a fast marathon, I think there are still a lot of things I can improve on. However, now probably isn't the time to dwell on that. I will do a thorough post-mortem sometime in late October. Right now is the time to focus on what I can do in the next 3+ weeks to make sure I peak for my goal race.

As I mentioned in my post on Monday, I was extremely sore all day Sunday and Monday. While I did manage to get out for 8 miles on Monday, it hurt and other than getting some blood flow to the legs, I'm not sure the run did a lot of good. Tuesday I had a 17 miler scheduled, but going to bed on Monday night, I wasn't sure if that was going to happen. My legs were still heavy late into Monday evening. However, when I woke in the middle of the night on Monday, for one of my standard midnight drinks of waters, my legs felt much better. At that point, I pretty much decided that I was going to give the 17 miles a go.

Well, I wish I could say that Tuesday's 17 was easy and effortless. It certainly wasn't that, but it also wasn't the worst 17 miler I've done this year. I was able to average under 7 min/miles for the run, and felt stronger during the second half of the run than I did for the first half of the run. More importantly, in the hours that followed the run, I seemed to continue to recover from the weekend's pounding. I was afraid that with a longer run like this, I would take a step back and go right back to having dead legs. That didn't happen.

Today called for another 10 miles. I wanted to do it early in the morning, but when I woke up at 5AM, I was greeted with a steady downpour and thunder. I decided to roll over and go back to sleep, thus pushing the run out to lunchtime. At lunch I did manage to get out for the run. I started the run heading directly into the wind and it made and sort of fast running nearly impossible. However, once I turned around and had the wind at my back, I was able to work the pace down to a 6:45 overall average. Not exactly setting the world on fire, but a little better.

So I think that I am now almost fully recovered from the race on Saturday. All things considered, I am pleased with how I was able to jump right back into training. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's been a long time coming.

2 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Blogger Mike said...

That race, while no doubt hugely taxing, might help the muscles ready themselves for the breakdown they'll be facing in Chicago. I was nervous about how you would bounce back, and I'm glad to hear things are once again on track.

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you continue experiencing sore muscles then you might want to see what other marathoners at Marathon Training have to say about this, and how they have dealt with the issue. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25