Friday, October 06, 2006

It's All Over Now, Except the Racing

I always seem to have problems with motivation once I get close to a marathon. Here I am less than three weeks out from my goal race and haven't felt like doing anything all week long. I guess you could say that's all part of the taper, even though I'm not officially starting the taper until next week. All my runs this week have been generally shorter than normal although I have felt pretty good on them once I dragged my butt out the door. I should wind up around 90 miles for the week, which in any other year would be great, but the bar has been raised this year, so it has become merely adequate.

For the most part, I'm a pretty positive person, but reading through my last couple of months of of blog entries I realize that I have been kind of a nut. To be honest, other than a training diary I'm not even sure there is much value in this thing at the moment. I started this blog to document my training, get feedback on it, and maybe motivate some other runners out there. Unfortunately, I've been so deliquent in updating the thing that it really has become rather unproductive. Now some of that was caused by things outside of my control, but mostly it has been that I just haven't had much fun running lately. To be honest, I can't wait for the marathon to get here so I can be done with running for a week or so and get some sort of passion back for it.

Yesterday I did two runs. The first was 7 miles at an easy pace during lunch and then after work I did 21 miles. The long run went good. I felt extremely comfortable the whole time and I would up averaging just under 7 minute miles. The 21 miler was my last official longrun, although I may do one more 17 miler early next week, depending on how I recover from the half-marathon that I'm doing on Sunday. Ah yes, the half-marathon on Sunday. I originally thought this would be a nice confidence booster prior to the marathon and to give me a final gauge as to what I could realistically expect. Now I'm kind of nervous about it. If I do, for whatever reason, run badly on Sunday, my confidence is going to be shot for the big race. It's tough being such basket case. Really it is.

I went out and bought my marathon shoes today in hopes that they will bring some motivation. I got the Brooks Axiom 2...my second pair of Axioms. I really do like these shoes. They are the lightest pair of shoes that I've ever worn (although I'm sure there are lighter ones out there), yet they still have a good amount of support to them. The last time I went to get a pair of these, they didn't have any in stock, so I went with the Mizuno Wave Inspire instead. Not a bad shoe, but man, when I put on those Axioms today, my feet were happy. My wife is going to be happy too, because, man, those Mizunos acquired quite a funk to them over the past month or so.

4 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger Mike said...

That 21 miler after 7 miles in the morning makes me think at least the legs are ready for Chicago. I'm really rooting for you Greg, as are all of your readers. No one is inspired to put in the miles every single day, and some days running simply isn't that noteworthy (or blogworthy). That being said, there are also those days when it can mean everything, at least for a few moments, and the mindless minutes spent pounding the pavement are a part of that success, so please keep it up. I genuinely hope Chicago brings you some of those moments and memories.

I've been hesitating to comment lately since I have nothing original to add to list of condolences, but saying something is often better than nothing at all. I gave both my kids extra long hugs last night and spent some time talking to my wife about the loss you and your family suffered. Know our thoughts are with you.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Keep up the blogging. It's our connection with you. And honestly, it's not about the blog so if the blog's hot or cold it doesn't matter. Do it as you feel.

You can deny the training. So basket case or not, come gun time you got it.

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry you lost your mom

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Eric said...

What is your plan for the half marathon? Are you running it as a marathon pace workout? I'm concerned that because you are calling it a 'confidence booster' that you may be thinking about running it full speed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25