Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Lost Week

My mom passed away late Monday night, after a two month battle with pancreatic cancer. My mom was always my biggest supporter when it came to running. She cheered me on during my first marathon in 1998 and was at every single Chicago marathon that I ran since then, 8 in total.

My mom got me started in running when I was very young.. I remember at the age of 4 she would go out for a 3 mile jog, and then she would stop at home, pick me up, and we would run another half mile together around a big hill by our house. I still remember so vividly my mom yelling at me when I met her outside one day with sandals on for our half-mile excursion. "You can't run in sandals! You'll hurt your feet" But she let me anyway. She had to. There was no way she was stopping me from doing the two things that I loved most: spending time with my mom and running. I miss her so much. I'm still not sure how I am going to get past mile 6, her usual cheering spot, without having a complete meltdown.

Chicago is less than 3 weeks away and to be quite honest, I don't know what to expect anymore. Last week was pretty much a lost week, as far as running goes. I logged a total of 22 miles, with the wake and funeral and just the general depression that was going on. This week is off to a better start, but I realize that anything I do right now is really window dressing. I really believe I was on my way to a breakthrough race up until two months ago. When my mom was diagnosed with cancer, my training took a hit. I don't have a single regret though. Running took a backseat and that's fine. I still think I'm capable of a good race, if I think about it objectively, now I just need to convince my body of that.

Yesterday was 8 miles at a general aerobic pace and today was 8 miles again, with 4 of those miles at a 5:47 pace. I was planning on going longer today, but I just didn't have it. I was feeling sluggish and decided not to push it. Hopefully, I'll get a couple of longruns in this week and then a half-marathon on Sunday. Once the race is over, I will officially start the taper to Chicago.

10 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

I am very sorry, Greg. My prayers are with you and your family. God bless.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Greg, I'm sorry for your loss. God bless you.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Runtime said...

Very sorry to hear about your mother. Please take care and I wish the best for you and yours.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Jonas said...

Your Mom won't be standing at Mile 6. She'll be with you every step of the way, instead. Draw strength and solace from that.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger MB said...

I am very sorry to to hear of your loss. Your Mom sounds like she was very special to you and would want nothing but your happiness.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Lawrence said...

Sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Doug Branscombe said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your Mom. It sounds like you had a great relationship with her. Cherish that and kick butt in Chicago for her.

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg; I am very sorry for your loss. You have made every indication throughout the whole year of this blog that your family comes first in your life, which is how it should be. Your running accomplishments are all the more impressive considering this.

As for your marathon trianing, although it is not ideal to lose a week of training, one week is not much compared to the long term training you have been doing. The 22 mi. week might not lead to improvement, but it is too short of a time to get out of shape. You should be able to keep your same goals.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Greg-
As I have said before there are no words I can say to help you feel better- but I promise you will get there. I am praying for you and your family.
As far as racing- I don't think that 22 mile week will affect you, except maybe in a good way in that it gave you a little rest with the other stresses that you have going on.
Hang in there my friend!!

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Greg, I know this message is coming to you very late, but just wanted to know that I'm keeping your family and you in my prayers. You've shown a great amount of strength through these difficult months, I hope you find peace as well. take care and keep running strong.
kpopo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25