Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My Trip to the Podiatrist

So yesterday I went to the podiatrist just to get an idea of what was going on with my foot. I was almost embarrassed when he started asking me how long has it been painful. The big toe has hurt for about two years now and the Plantar Fascittis has been around for about 7 years. No doctor, I never had them checked out before, because the pain was never really delibilitating, just kind of annoying. The pain still isn't really that bad, I just want to know what I'm dealing with. So he decides to take some X-rays to see what's going on.

While I'm sitting in the room waiting for the x-rays to develop, I must admit I was feeling a little nervous. I wasn't nervous about there being anything seriously wrong. I can deal with that. I was actually worried that he wouldn’t find anything. I was really hoping he wasn't going to say, it looks like you have a severe case of wussyitis. Take two man pills and call me in the morning. So I was somewhat relieved when he came in the room and said, why don't you come with me. I want to show you some things on the x-ray. You have a lot of stuff going on.

Basically, he told me that I have a runner's foot. He said a lot of things were kind of to be expected when you pound on your feet day after day. However, there were some shocking things in there too. This is what he found:

1. Bunion on the big toe
2. "Arthritic conditions" in the big toe
3. Bone spur on the top of the big toe
4. Bone Spur on the bottom of the big toe
5. Floating cartilage above the 3rd toe, the result of a strangely healed stress fracture which I never knew I had
6. plantar fasciitis
7. Heel Spur
8. I had a break in my ankle at some point fairly recently, and it healed funny. I never knew I broke my ankle.

So his suggestion for treatment was basically just stretching for the plantar fasciitis. He said that he thought if I did a better job of stretching the calves, that would loosen up the achilles, which in turn would help the plantar fascia. Makes sense. I don’t stretch much, so I can handle that. For the bunion, the floating cartilage, and all the bone spurs, he suggested tha I have an outpatient "procedure" to remove these. He said he could do them all at once so I would only have one ting to recover from. Although he never actually used the word, it sounded a lot like foot surgery to me. He also suggested that I get some orthotics (of course) and that I run in something more supportive than my Brooks Axiom.

The orthotics and shoe recommendation came as no surprise. Although I've never been to a podiatrist, it seems to me that most people who do go, usually get orthotics recommended. While I agree that the Brooks Axiom may not be the most supportive shoe in the world, it's not bad, and I'm sticking with it. As for the foot surgery, I was pretty torn when I left the office. I liked the idea of being pain free and getting full range of motion in my big toe back. I wasn't too crazy about the recovery and forced layoff that would accompany the surgery, especially with my wife having a baby any day now. I don't think me being in a walking boot would go over too good in those early days with the new baby.

So after talking to a lot of people, I think I've decided to skip the surgery for now. The pain is nothing new, and if anything it seems to subside when I'm logging heavy mileage for whatever reason. I do think I'm going to get a second opinion with an orthopedist surgeon just to make sure that the first guy didn't miss anything. I mean a lot of the stuff he said made sense, but the broken ankle thing really threw me for a loop. In April of this year, I did hurt my ankle and it was pretty painful. I took a week off from running and when I got back into it, the pain had subsided a lot and I was able to run a marathon three weeks later. That is the only time I had ankle pain, ever. I can't believe it was actually broken. I don't believe it.

As for the running, I struggled through an absolutely miserable 9 mile run this morning. I guess sometimes during the recovery stage, you take a few step forwards and then out of the blue take a step back. It has been only two weeks since Chicago, so I'm not too worried about the occasional bad run. The foot felt fine.

8 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

In my recovery, I take a few steps backward and out of the blue a step forward (just when I think all is lost).

Good luck with your foot and new baby.

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are right about just using the shoes that feel best running. From what I have heard, doctors often say you need more support than you really do.

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger Wayne said...

That was a darn long list of problems for a foot. I like your comment about sticking with the Axioms.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger MB said...

was this a sports podiatrist or at least one that runs?

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Andy Emerson said...

I went to a PT earlier this year for some problems (mostly ankle) and he prescribed a Doctor's Scholls PowerStep Inserts. I wear them in my Mizuno Inspires. He said they before anyone spends money on a custom orthotic, you should see if an over-the-counter will solve the problem first. In my case, the $30 inserts worked.

As for the surgery, I would agree to get a second opinion.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Lawrence said...

wow!... that was a hefty list of ailments. I was surprised to see that list considering how well you've run....I second Andy, a second opinion will not hurt.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Dallen said...

I'll preface my comments with the disclaimer that I am a little biased.

"All" podiatrists like to do surgery. I could have told you that he would recommend surgery before you went to see him. Go to the orthopedic surgeon and get a good second opinion.

Most of the stuff he saw on your x-ray are common and no big deal.As for the unknown stress fracture, possible. A broken ankle that you didn't know about but was bad enough to heal funny, very unlikely. Your own diagnosis of plantar fasciitis is way more accurate than anything that an x-ray will see.

Don't have surgery unless you really need to.

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also had a bit of the PF pain since about June. It pretty much has gone away, though there are some days I can still fell the pain. Here's a tip that I found on the internet, that has really helped me: Freeze two water bottles (regular 12 oz Aquafina's) lay them on the floor after a run, and massage the bottom of your feet by rolling your feet on them, while sitting down, for about 15 minutes. Put the bottles back in the freezer for tomorrows icing. The ice combined with light stretching has almost cured my PF.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25