Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Oh, My Aching Legs

Did seven extremely creaky miles yesterday. The hard half marathon effort on Sunday left me pretty sore for this run, so the goal was to basically just get the legs moving and hopefully finish the run feeling better than when I started. I'm not sure if I felt better when I was finished, but I didn't feel any worse, so I guess you could say it was mission accomplished. It seems that my legs kind of go into a numb state when they're extremely sore they were for this one. They aren't real happy with what's going on, but they're too sore to really object too much.

This morning I did 17 miles on the way into work. This actually was a surprisingly good run. My legs are still sore, but for whatever reason, it didn't really affect the run much. My pace stayed under 7 for the entire run and I was actually getting stronger as the run progressed. I can't say that it felt great, but I never got to the point where I just wanted to stop, so I guess that's a positive. Since I spent a good portion of last month whining about the weather, I will say that lately the weather has been pretty close to perfect. In the morning, we have been in the upper 60's/lower 70's with no humidity, so that definitely helped today.

As for the half-marathon, I'm still going over it all in my head. The last two years, I ran a small half-marathon by my house just before the Chicago Marathon and finished both years in the 1:17's. The guy who won it the last two years ran in the low 1:15's both years. I remember thinking last year, that there wasn't much I could do to ever really compete with him. I was just resigned to the fact that he was faster than me. That isn't true anymore. I'm really having a hard time getting my head around it actually. Hopefully, this is just beginning.

3 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great run, Greg. Best wishes in your final weeks of training!

I'm curious which half marathon near your house you are referring to. I live in Chicago and am trying to find a late September half to do. Ideally, I would do the Chicago Half, but I have committed to pacing part of the Milwaukee Marathon for a buddy.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Thanks for the comment. The half I was referring to is in Calumet City(far South Suburbs of Chicago) and it's always two weeks out from LBCM. That may be a little too close to marathon day for some people, but I've done it the last 3 years and have had good success with it, so I'll stick with it.

It's very low-key (maybe 200 runners tops), but well-run and cheap. I think last year it was $15. There isn't a ton of info on-line about it, but as the race gets closer, they do update their webpage.

http://www.calumetmemorialparkdistrict.com/specialevents.html

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Tremendously great performance at the CDC! No surprises that you we're a bit sore after that kind of time! Look forward to tracking your progress

It's interesting to me that you pushed through 17 this morning only 2 days after the race. Are you concerned about wearing yourself out?

I was sore, too, this morning still. I did an EZ 6 Monday. I was about to go out and do 14 this morning but was fearful of taking on too much too soon after that intense race. I opted for another short recovery. I'm going to do 14 tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25