Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A Mental Break

Sometimes when I reread through my posts from day to day, I begin to wonder if I'm bipolar. One day, I'm complaining about how tired I am, the next day I feel great. One day I feel like I'm taking on more than I can chew, the next day I'm talking about increasing my mileage up to 120 per week. I think I kind of know what my problem is. It isn't so much that my running changes from day to day. Usually if I drag myself outside for a run, I can perform pretty consistently. The problem with me is that my motivation seems to fluctuate with the day. Somedays I feel like a world-beater and other days I feel like the world is beating up on me.

Which brings me to this week. I have a streak of 8 consecutive 100 mile weeks under my belt going into this week and things do seem to be getting easier. However, this week with the crazy temps so far (it was 100 yesterday and today), I just haven't had any desire to get out there and sweat through the miles. Plus, we have a family outing to an amusement park on Thursday and Friday of this week, so running is going to be difficult then too. The original plan was to really front-load the week and then try and coast through the vacation and weekend. However, with the weather, that just ain't happening. So, it's time for the 100 mile week streak to end. Along with it, the 34 straight days of running is going to end today too (assuming I don't talk myself into a short run this evening).

I'm sad to see both streaks go, but I also want to stay focused on October 22nd. I'd much rather take the week now, when I can plan it out, as opposed to 3 or 4 weeks from now, when I'm forced into it. In the past I've always said some of the smartest decision I've made when it comes to training have involved rest days. I rarely look back and say I'm really glad I forced in that extra 10 miler. However, I can remember a few times where I really feel like I benefited from rest. In April, I had some mystery problem with my ankle. I tried for about 2 weeks to run through it. I was able to do it, but it was painful. Finally, I forced myself into a 3 day rest period and haven't had to deal with the pain since.

With a down week this week, that leaves me 11 weeks until the Chicago Marathon. Take two weeks out for the taper, and it leaves me 9 weeks of good training left. The past 12 weeks or so have been the best running I have ever done in my life. For the most part, it has also been the healthiest I have been. Aside from some minor soreness here and there, I am in pretty good shape physically. I think with the added benefit of a weeklong mental break I should be all set for the homestretch.

Now the real challenge is to find that happy medium between a too easy week and a too hard week. I've never really had much luck finding that. What I hope to do with the remainder of the week is to get in somewhere around 60-70 miles for the week with one longish run mixed in and maybe a tempo run or two. I'm thinking just doing singles everday and the absence of the second longrun will do me good. We shall see. The one thing that I definitely noticed is that my lunch didn't taste nearly as good today without no run on the agenda. It's like I always say, the best part about running is the eating afterwards.

4 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Eric said...

It's very healthy that you aren't married to your streaks. My last one went 173 days, and ended with the second of several breaks for my calf problem. As Bono would say, "where's the glory in that?"

By the way, that's a solid streak you just cut down. You should reward yourself with a pizza. Cheers!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Alan said...

I am glad to see this post. I am running no where near the mileage you are but compared to what I have done the last couple of years I have ramped up pretty good. The last 1 1/2 weeks my legs have been tired and I have been a little lacking in the motivation area but want to have a good race this fall so I keep running. I think about the progress you have made with the higher mileage and use that as a help to get out and get the run in. It is nice to not only read about the push for higher mileage and lower race times but also the insight on rest.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Mike said...

After having to push to get to 100 last week, and with temperatures rising, I'm glad to see you easing off a bit. I think following the "malaise-o-meter" is a good way of indicating if you need a little time off, even if it's only one day or turning some singles into doubles. I hear you on the food though.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Ed said...

The temps are wearing, no doubt about it. I did 23 and 18 this weekend "ultra-style" (i.e., very slowly), and at the end of the weekend I felt as if I had bumped against the ceiling of what I can do long run-wise in this climate.

As always, I'm concerned at how much you're doing, yet ever humbled by how well you are managing it. It's natural to have ups and downs, and you seem to be working through them quite well.

Won't be long now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25