Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Run for Freedom

Despite the melodramatic name for this race, it is actually a fairly low-key race run in my hometown that is about a mile from my house. Last year, I ran this race and was able to break 17 minutes for the first time in my life and place 3rd overall in the race. This year, I didn't know exactly what to expect, but I told my wife to make sure that if she wanted to see me finish, she shouldn't get there any later than 8:16:20 CST. So I guess I did have a goal.

I did about 2 miles warm-up prior to the race, and to be honest, I didn't feel all that great. I assumed it was just normal raceday nervousness. For some reason, I turn into a hypocondriac on raceday. Every stomach grumble is the flu and every sore muscle is a strain or a tear. By the time the gun went off, I was fairly certain that despite all my medical problems, I would be fine to run. I noticed before the race that they had the course record up, which just so happened to be the winning time from last year, since this is only the second year of the race. 16:41. I wasn't sure if I would own the course record after the race, but I did know that the winner would have to run faster than that this to win year.

It was extremely humid at the start of the race but luckily it was probably only in the 70's so while the weather wasn't ideal, it wasn't too bad either. The gun went off and we were off. It was me and a few other guys at the start, and by about the half-mile mark, I took the lead. I could feel a few other guys on my shoulder, but they never really tried to take the lead from me. I came through the first mile around 5:12.

I started feeling it a little bit during the second mile, but at no point during the race did my legs start to lock up. I have run a 4 and a 5 mile race so far this year, and this was the first time all year, that I've felt like my speed could actually somewhat match my endurance. In the past race, I felt strong throughout the entire race, but my legs just couldn't move fast enough. This time, I really felt like my legs were moving.

I pretty much owned the lead for the entire race. I missed the split at mile 2 (I think the lady was having a hard time figuring out how to read her digital watch). I came through mile 3 in 15:56 and pushed to the finish for a 16:26 final time. A 28 second PR.

This race did give me some confidence that I'm on the right track. I felt like my speed has improved a lot in the past month or so and my strength is at an all time high. I did about 5 miles after the race in total to bring the total for the day up to 10. Just in case I was getting a little too cocky after the race, I was forced to run the mile to my house after the race with the bouquet of flowers that went to the winner. They know how to keep a man humble.

6 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Eric said...

You shure look purdy runnin' with them flowurs! Flowers for the men's winner? That's weird.

Nice race, a course record and a nice PR. Congrats! Get used to it. The high mileage training is going to continue to amaze.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Those miles are working for you, congratulations. It's hard to win, there's always "somebody" else out there, so I'm impressed you put it away so handily. Grabbing a PR along the way is a nice bonus too. I'm thinking 6 minute marathon pace might just be the ticket if you don't go too nuts with the speed work.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Alright I gotta ask...what does this mean:

"I'm thinking 6 minute marathon pace might just be the ticket if you don't go too nuts with the speed work."

How would going nuts with speedwork put a 6 min. marathon pace in jeopardy? I'm asking because I'm absolutely not an expert when it comes to the finer points of training.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Wayne said...

Looks like you need to change that 5k PR on your profile. Good run. I can't wait to hear about you, mike, and eric's marathon.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Wayne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I guess I'm saying that at some point speedwork reaches a point of diminishing returns. Running too much V02 max stuff (5K pace and faster) too often can start to wear down your endurance. Sure you'll build up leg speed and you will probably get even faster at the 5K, but you just don't want to do it at the expense of eroding your aerobic base, which is what will get you to the line. We all can only do so much, and if I have to choose between a little more speed or a little more endurance, I go for the latter for a marathoner. Racing on Saturday then being forced to run your long run 20-30 seconds slower per mile the next time out is an example.

I feel I did too much fast stuff (a little too fast and a little too often) myself, and while I started flying at the shorter distances (40 second PR at the 5K), the longer runs started to tax me more. I was trying up to 3 sessions a week though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25