Thursday, June 22, 2006

Confidence

Last night my youngest son Mikey, who recently celebrated his 2nd birthday, decided that he has had enough of his crib. He finally worked up the courage to climb out of it and claim his freedom from his confined sleeping space. Nothing revolutionary had occurred with Mikey, either physically or mentally, in the past month to allow him to finally be able to climb out of the crib. Actually, he's probably been capable of getting out for a few months now, but luckily for mommy and daddy, he didn't know that he could get out. Once he figured out that he could do it, there was no turning back. We tried to get him back in the crib, but he would climb out again before we could even get to the door. What sparked this sudden climbing ability within Mikey? Confidence. Once he knew he could get out of that crib, it became easy for him. He no longer had to worry about the unknown. He knew he could do it.

Confidence is such a strange thing. Sometimes I look at the workouts that guys who are faster than me do, and I think I could do that. I could run with this guy in workouts, but why would he whip my butt in a race? I wonder if it is as simple as just confidence. The guy next to me knows he can run this thing in X amount of time, whereas I'm still thinking I might be able to. Should there be more of a focus on the mental aspect of this thing or does confidence come with work? I have a 5K coming up in a few weeks. It is the first race I've done in a couple of months and I will step to the line just about as confident as I could be. While I don't think I'll hit my ultimate goal of breaking 16 minutes, I will hopefully lower my PR and get closer to 16. Many runners talk about breakthrough performances. A race or a workout where they reach a new plateau in their running and once they get there, they never look back. That's what I'm hoping for this summer. I'm confident I can do that.

Today I did 10 miles at a very relaxed pace. My legs were not real happy with me for most of the run, but they did loosen up a little at the end. I think I'm suffering from some severe glycogen depletion. Since I went camping this past weekend, my diet has consisted of a lot of meat, and very little carbs. Not exactly the ideal diet for a runner. Today I'm focusing on carbs to try and get some energy in these tired bones. Hopefully tomorrow's 23 miler will reflect that.

2 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What 5K race are you doing in a couple weeks?

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Mike said...

5:10, 5:15, 5:08...sprint!!! Good luck with the race, I'm still 8 seconds away from your goal, though I took back more than 30 in one race this year. In my case, I started getting to know the "faster" guys better, which somehow made them seem more human and "raceable". I still slowly drifted back, but I was able to stay closer than I had previously.

I think all your endurance from the big weeks will start to give you confidence; while it might not make you that much faster in a short race, you will be strong enough to slow down less towards the end when you're hurting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25