Friday, June 30, 2006

Marathon Pace, Long Runs, and Lydiard Lacing

As I eluded to you yesterday, things were a bit crazy at work yesterday so getting in an afternoon run was tough. I was able to carve out about an hour in the afternoon for a run, so I bolted out to the gym and did 7 miles on the treadmill with 5.5 of those miles at marathon pace (6 min/mile). It felt pretty good, especially considering I wasn't really planning on doing any kind of workout or anything, but since I was pressed for time, I kind of had to. That's always been kind of my dilemma now that my marathon pace is getting lower and lower. I guess I've always had it ingrained in my head that marathon pace should feel easy. That you should be able to go out pretty much at any point and do 5 miles at marathon pace and feel fine. While I guess that's true to a certain extent, it certainly isn't to the point where I can just tune out and lock into marathon pace. Does that mean that I'm not there yet, or is it OK for MP to actually feel like an effort? Does the extra mileage that I'm doing make it OK for MP to feel harder, and by the time I sharpen and taper for the actual marathon, what feels tough now will feel easy later? I don't know the answer, but hopefully, as my fitness improves it will start to answer itself.

This morning I did what I call the Halsted Run on the way into work. Basically it's a door to door route starting at my house and ending at the gym by my work. In all it's 23 miles and it's a tough run. You run through some bad neighborhoods and the streets are not made for running. I know it isn't the smartest thing to do in the world, but I pretty much go without water for the entire run. The first water fountain on the whole way is located at about the 20 mile mark. So I usually bring a GU and if I feel like I need it, I will take it at the 20 mile mark and then wash it down with some water and that's it. Overall, the run went good today. My legs felt good and the shoes seem to be working out well.

Earlier this year, I had some strange ankle injury pop up the first time I ran in my Kayano's. After some discussion and investigation, I decided it was caused by having my shoe laces tied to tight on the new shoes. Well, I didn't actually decide that, but it was a theory and one that had some decent supporting evidence. Anyway, there was one particular tendon that was really irritated and it got very swollen and it basically forced me to take almost an entire week off from training in April. Eventually it cleared up and that's when I switched to the Lydiard lacing method for my shoes. Now I don't know if this made a difference or not, but the injury never came back and the shoes seemed to fit more comfortably, so who was I to argue

Which brings us today. About 2 miles into this run, I started to feel that same twinge in my ankle that I felt earlier this year. At first I ignored it, but I could tell it wasn't going away so I stopped, took off my shoes, relaced them as Lydiard instructed and went back at it. It made a difference. The twinge went away and I was able to go on and do the 23 miles. Hmmm, maybe that Lydiard guy knew what he was talking about.

As a side note, I was able to log 409 miles in June. That's the first time I've ever been over 400 miles in a month and about 40 miles more than my May mileage. Of course prior to this year, I've never even logged more than 280 miles in a month, so it's all kind of unchartered territory for me.

3 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I always had trouble with that lacing pic, then Nobby Hashizume sent me a power point presentation on it! I'm glad it works for you, it really seems to help people with "tall" feet.

As for marathon pace, there's really only one day that running it and feeling good matters. I'm always intimidated by marathon pace when I'm months out and at high volume. As you close in and lower the volume I bet you'll come around in a hurry.

Fantastic total for June by the way.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Eric said...

No posts since Friday? You're in danger of becoming a twice a week blogger! Like me!

Must mean you're doing more running than blogging...lucky dog.

Anyone who thinks they have a tough commute doesn't know what they're talking about. 23 miles to work...geez.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Chris said...

http://stream.netro.ca/cfax

Nobby Hashizume speaks!

The co-founder of the lydiard foundation and world's leading authority on the Lydiard method will be on Victoria Radio from 3:30 pm to 4:00 Friday November 2nd. THAT's TOMORROW!

www.cfax1070.com/

Tune in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25