Thursday, January 17, 2008

New Beginnings

I have never been one of those guys that can train non-stop all year long. I can usually stay pretty strong from January - October when I run my fall marathon. After the marathon, I can sometimes extend things for maybe a month or two, but at some point I need to just stop. I need to reacquaint myself with David Letterman and other late night TV viewing. Well, OK. Maybe not David Letterman, but at least the 10 o'clock news. I need to wake up at 7AM and not worry about the fact that my window to run for the day has probably already closed. I need to eat a normal lunch at work and not worry about hurrying off to the gym. I have to be normal. At least for 1 month out of the year I have to be.

And then, when that month or so is over, I need to start running even more than I needed to stop running a few weeks back. The drive returns. The drive to wake up and feel like I am accomplishing something, or at least working towards something. The desire to feel lean and fit. And fast.

This will be my third year following a higher mileage plan. During the first year, I was basically just surviving the mileage. Despite that survival mode, I PRed in every distance that I raced that first year, which showed me that this high mileage stuff really does work. The second year, I feel like I was really able to do high mileage AND train, which wasn't always the case that first year. I was able to PR in 5K, 8K, 10K, and Half-Marathon. Unfortunately, there was no marathon PR last year, which really leaves me itching to get one this year. So that's the goal this year.

I feel like there are definitely things I need to improve on if I want to accomplish the goals. First off, I need to be more consistent. Two years ago when I started this blog, I was close to fanatical about getting the mileage in. I simply wouldn't miss my mileage goal for the week. This created some rather lopsided weeks of running where I was chasing miles throughout the week. While that may not seem like the brightest thing in the world to do, it worked for me, because it kept me working towards a tangible short-term goal.

Last year, I was a little more realistic about my running, and allowed myself to back-off every now and then if things were getting too much to handle. This worked OK most of the time, but I'll admit this approach does scare me. It's a slippery slope when you start to give yourself breaks. A day off here, leads to an easy week there, which leads to lower mileage, which kills PRs. At least for me it does. I need to keep piling it on to keep myself moving forward.

So this year I want to more consistent with my mileage, but I also want to be more focused on my runs. I think I sometimes get a little rudderless when it comes to training. I need to make more of a deviation between recovery runs and training runs. Everything should have a purpose. Including this blog. If you see something that doesn't seem right to you, call me on it. I won't be offended. I value the feedback. My intentions here are purely selfish. It's to make myself a better runner.

I won't bore you with what I've been up to so far this year. It has been mostly just getting my legs back under me. I think that has been accomplished. The fun stuff is to follow.

PS...I'm glad to get this first post out of the way. I hate the "I'm back" post. Hopefully this is the only one I'll have to write this year.

2 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Blogger krishmd said...

Thank God. I was tired of clicking on this blog and seeing nothing new.
It sounds like you have the motivation back.

It's ludicrous for someone of my ability to advise someone of your ability, but one thing I have noticed, is that the faster a person gets, the harder it is for them to slow down. Thus the recovery runs really never achieve their intended goal. So, that's my piece of unsolicited advice. Now, you are free to tell me how best to perform a pacemaker implantation.

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see the blog up and running again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25