Monday, September 24, 2007

Cal City Half Marathon

Over the past few years I've developed a routine for the Chicago Marathon. Three weeks out from the marathon, I try and pretend that it is just a regular training week. I try and convince myself that I'm not tapering for anything, and then at the end of the week, I run a small half-marathon by my house. Usually, about halfway through the week, I get lazy and decide that I really should be tapering and it's more important to get a good confidence boost from the half in a few days, so I start slacking off. This year was no exception.

For some reason , there is always someone at this race who is faster than me. When I was running a 1:21, there was some guy who would run a 1:17. When I got down to 1:17, there was a 1:14 guy there. When I got down to 1:14, the 1:12 guy started showing up. This year, I didn't know what I was capable of, and I really didn't recognize anyone who I knew could beat me. I mean it looked like there was a decent pack of fast looking guys, but no one who I knew that would beat me.

So the gun went off, with little to no warning, and we were off. My friend Dave's, pre-game pick for the winner, was out like a shot and quickly opened a nice little lead on me. I really wanted to go out slow on that first mile, but with this guy going out so hard, I lost all perspective on a decent pace, and hit the first mile in 5:13. Yikes. I'm gonna pay for that.

At that point, I knew that this guy was out of my league, and besides the goal of this race was to run strong, not win, so I from here I wanted to just settle into a nice pace and not worry about place. Not that it mattered. I was cemented in second place. I was able to get into a nice rhythm right around a 5:30 for the next bunch of miles though and was actually surprised at how fast the miles were flying by.

However, due to my completely self-defeating attitude, I kept waiting for the bonk to happen. I was pretty much in unchartered territory for the entire race. I was really closer to my historical 5K race pace than my historical half marathon race pace, so I really was unsure if I could maintain it. At every mile split, I just kept thinking, OK, if I do 6 min/miles from here on in, could I still PR? Finally around mile 7 or 8, it actually became possible to do 6 min/miles and still PR. For whatever reason that gave me some confidence, since I knew I could probably limp home and still come away with a decent time.

I can't say I ever really struggled during the race though, although miles 8-11 were the only ones that I let myself drift into the 5:40+ range. I say drift, because it was during those miles, where I just kept telling myself to get to mile 11, and then you can push as hard as you want. So I guess subconsciously, I took things easy and let the pace drift a little. Or maybe I was just tired.

I was able to recover at 11 though and got back under 5:40 for the 12th mile and ran my second fastest mile of the day (behind the insanely fast opening mile) for my last mile. I came across the line in 1:12:13, which is a PR almost 2:30. However, after checking my Garmin and many other Garmins at the race, the course was short by .15 miles. So for PR purposes, I took my average pace for the run, which was 5:34, and extrapolate (thank-you. Didn't even have to look that word up) that out to the full 13.1 miles which gives me a PR of 1:12:58. Also, my 10K & 10 mile split both blew away my previous PRs at those distances, but I guess I'll wait for a real race to update those PRs.

Here are the splits from the race:

8 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger RunToTheFinish said...

wow...if I ran at your speed, I could go so much farther! :) I think this race gave you some mental prep work for chicago!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger nwgdc said...

wow! congrats. i pr'd in a half this weekend also in preparation for chicago. Good luck keeping the taper going!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Grellan said...

Great race Greg. What was the winner's time?. How long did your improvement from 1:21 - 1:17 - 1:14 to 1:12:xx take.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Grellan,
The winner came through in 1:08 and change. He was flying.

My progression in the half marathon went like this:

2002: 1:24:56
2003: 1:21:30
2004: 1:17:15
2005: 1:17:05
2006: 1:14:41
2007: 1:12:58

My marathon times follow a similiar pattern as well. Starting in 2006 is when I started regularly logging mileage in the 80-100 range.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger MB said...

awesome race and read

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Dallen said...

Congrats. I might have to try doing whatever you're doing.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger RICK'S RUNNING said...

hi greg, just read your blog for the first time.seems like your hitting really good form,its great when you start to p.b. and move up a level!
two of my friends went to a small town marathon and asked if i would make up the team.i was feeling abit lazy so i turned them down.
well they text me after the race and one of my friends WINS the dam race in 2.53 and my other friend came 4th in 3.01.
hell am kicking my self now thinking what if! you see me friend who won only beat me by 10 sec in a 5k last week,and i know he has only been running 50 miles per week,me i've been doing lydiard base training with 3 long runs per week,so i no my endurance is good and i have a p.b. of 2.48 aaaaahhhh!!! anyways am happy for the guy after all, all his family were there to see him and they must have been surprised as hell!!!to see him win. wow a long distance runners dream come true.wmnise

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Thomas said...

Bloody hell, that's blinding fast. You're progression is extremely impressive. Congratulations on a fantastic race, and Chicago better watch out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25