Tuesday, June 19, 2007

America's Next Top Model?

So yesterday I got an email from the marathon, that went out to all registrants letting us know that there would be open auditions to be part of the Lasalle Bank Mural that they do every year in conjuction with the Chicago Marathon. The mural is on the side of a building that faces one of Chicago's busiest expressway's and it always draws a lot of attention when they change it. This year for the marathon, they want to incorporate actual marathon participants into the mural, thus the open auditions. On a whim, I sent an email to the place that was doing the shoot, and shortly thereafter, I got a phone call telling me show up in my running clothes at 11:50 AM today.

Now I'll admit, the draw here isn't to get my face blown up to 10X it's normal size and have it plastered on a wall for all of Chicago to see. No, the draw for me was the $750 that you get if you're selected for the daylong photo shoot. Just think of all the shoes and sunglasses $750 will buy! So after hemming and hawing about whether I should go with the singlet or the short sleeves (singlet) and making sure that my running shoes didn't stink too badly (they didn't) off I went to the auditions.

I jogged the mile over to the place where the "auditions" were at…you know, just to get into my role. Once there, I got carted off to a waiting room where there were about 10 other people all waiting for their big break. I think there were a couple of "real" actors in the bunch since they seemed to know each other and were talking about other auditions they had to go to later in the week. Everyone else was just frumpy runners like me.

The shoot went really fast. First he took a face shot of me smiling. Then he does a full body shot and says, "put your hand on your hip, and show me some attitude. Like you're telling everyone I can beat you in a marathon." So I show him some attitude (dear God, please don't let anyone I know ever see this picture).

Then he says jog in place. He says not like you would normally jog in place though. This time do long slow strides. I try and do it, but I just know I look like a goof. Finally he says, run in place like you normally would. Well, I normally would never run in place, but I play along and go to my regular stride. Finally, I felt comfortable. And then it was over. I'm not sure, but I think on the way out, I heard the guy say, "Don't call us, we'll call you kid." I guess I'll know if I made the cut later this week. I don't think I'll be holding my breath.

Did 10 miles this morning with strides thrown in at the end. My right hip feels very stiff lately. I'm not sure why, but this seems to come and go rather regularly, so I won't get too concerned with it yet. Actually the strides seems to have helped a little bit…maybe loosened it up a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25