Monday, August 13, 2007

Marathon Pace (I Hope)

So this past weekend was the Chicago Distance Classic in, as the name hints at, Chicago! Last year, I feel like this race was the pinnacle of my training for the year. I trained all summer putting in lots of hundred mile weeks, but didn't really race anything over a 5K until this race. At this race, I ran a 1:14:41, which was a PR by about 3 minutes. A few weeks prior to this race, my mom was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer (it still hurts to write that), which pretty much sent my training into the crapper, and I feel like every race after this one was done on just pure residual effect from the great training I was able to do up to this point. But for this one race last year, I was in top form.

This year, things are different. While I wouldn't call my summer exactly stellar, it hasn't been bad. Even with last weeks meager totals, I'm still averaging 70 miles per week for the year (70.2 actually, but who's counting), while last year I think I was closer to 80 miles per week. There is probably a little more quality to the miles I'm doing this year as well, which definitely counts for something. I also think that since this is the second year of running higher mileage, the cumulative effect of all those miles is still paying dividends for me. So I still think I have a great opportunity to run a great race in the marathon this year. What I need to do to make that happen is to focus on these next 8 weeks to make sure that I put myself in the best position to succeed. Switching back to morning runs is one step in that process.

This morning was my longer tempo run where I try and run around marathon pace. This is the third week that I've been incorporating this run into my schedule and I think I'm starting to get some idea of what a 5:50-5:55 pace should feel like. I still hesitate to say that is what my marathon pace is going to be (it sounds a little intimidating at this point), but I guess at some point you need to pick a time and go with it. The way this run works is I do about a 2 mile warm-up and then I start with about a half mile of winding trails that lead me to a two mile loop that I do 3 times and then head back on the half mile trail. The run is done exclusively on a gravel path, so while I do save a little pounding on the legs, I really don't like running fast on gravel. It gets in my shoes and I just don’t feel fast on it. There. My daily wine is out of the way.

The run went good today. I try not to check my watch too often during my runs so I can get some sort of self-pacing going on. For the first loop of this run, I was really just focusing on staying comfortable. I seemed to hit this goal and still came through the 2.5 mile mark at a 5:55 overall pace. My breathing became a little more labored as I went to work on the second loop. I wasn't sure if this was because I was subconsciencly upping the pace, or if the 5:55 was getting to me. However, when I came to the end of loop 2, I had worked the pace down to 5:50, which confirmed that the increase in effort did coincide with an increase in pace as well. The last lap I kept that overall pace at 5:50, and that's also where I wound up at the end of the 7 miles. The last half mile was tough, probably more because mentally, I was thinking of the run as 3 loops, so when I completed the 3rd loop, I wanted to be done! I finished the run with a slow mile back to my house for 10 miles total for the day.

I was hoping to get out for a slow 7 miler at lunch today, but the boss had other plans, so I'll probably just bag it. With 17 on tap for tomorrow morning, I don't want to jeopardize the quality of that run for a recovery run.

3 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Mike said...

After my first marathon with higher mileage training I did what seemed rational in training for the next one: more of everything. For my efforts I ended up running about 4 minutes slower and biting everyones heads off for a few months (2 months during peak training and one month after the crash).

I think you are wise to recognize that the same training won't necessarily produce the same or better results, and letting the miles from last year help you run more pace specific efforts is a good way to apply yourself.

You're not the same as last year; Let one of the differences be that you're faster.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger dave-o said...

It's funny you wrote about last year's CDC. I was just thinking yesterday how you absolutely nailed that race. So in that sense, I tend to agree that you peaked in August, and that's not taking anything away from the marathon.

I think your training this summer is shaping up to peak in October. Obviously there were far more important things going on between CDC and LBCM last year. Now you seemed focused and ready to use the remaining 8 weeks to nail it on October 7th.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger RunToTheFinish said...

It seems that running is just one on going experiement. Each race, each summer, each step brings new insight as to what works for you and what doesn't. Sometimes we get caught up in hitting a certain number of miles, while forgetting our actual goal. It seems this year your working on doing more with less and maybe that's just what you need!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Marathon Progression

10/1998 Chicago Marathon: 3:35 10/1999 Chicago Marathon: 3:03 4/2000 Boston Marathon: 3:10 10/2000 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 4/2001 Boston Marathon: 3:25 10/2001 Chicago Marathon: 2:51 5/2002 Lakeshore Marathon: 2:57 10/2002 Chicago Marathon: 2:54 6/2003 Grandmas Marathon: 3:35 10/2003 Chicago Marathon: 3:01 10/2004 Chicago Marathon: 2:48 10/2005 Chicago Marathon: 2:46 12/2005 Tecumseh Trail Marathon: 3:21 4/2006 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:45 10/2006 Chicago Marathon: 2:38:21 4/2007 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:40? 10/2007 Chicago Marathon: 2:45 10/2007 Lakefront 50/50 Marathon: 2:45 4/2008 Equestrian Connection Marathon: 2:36:15 10/2008 Chicago Marathon: 2:41:25